2012年10月16日星期二

coach   How about it

  "How about it?"overr.
  hisHe"I--I guess it is all here--but my egg is not, Phil.""So I heard you say before.""Where is it--where is it?""How do you suppose I know? You are lucky that nothing else wastaken. Is the lock broken?""No. Somebody had a key.""Almost any key made for an ordinary trunk will fit these steamertrunks." Phil proved this by selecting and trying three keys on his ownkey ring, each of which locked and unlooked Teddy's steamer trunk withease.
  "I'll bet you took my egg for a joke.""Teddy Tucker, how can you say so," demanded Phil indignantly.
  "Did I ever do a thing like that?""No, I guess you didn't," admitted the boy. "But it's gone.""It is evident that we have a thief on board. Mr. Sparling must beinformed of this at once," decided Phil firmly. "You remain here and Iwill go and fetch him."In a few moments the Circus Boy returned with Mr. Sparling. Theshowman made a careful examination of the room and the trunk on hisown account. His face was flushed and angry.
  He went over the same ground with his questions that Phil already haddone.
  "Do you suspect anyone, Phil?""I do not. Whom should I suspect? Nothing like this has everhappened in the Sparling show since I have been connected with it.""You are right. It won't be healthful for the man who is responsiblefor this, if I catch him," growled the showman. "Somebody must beunusually fond of ostrich eggs to go to this length for one. If anyone inthis show chances to dine on ostrich egg in the next twenty-four hours weshall know whom to accuse of the theft.""I do not think you will get the opportunity," said Phil, with a peculiarsmile.
  "What do you mean by that remark?""That it was not taken because the thief wanted to eat it. He wouldnot be foolish enough to do that.""Then why?""Probably to get even with Teddy."Mr. Sparling eyed him sternly.
  "You mean somebody had a grudge against Teddy?"Phil nodded.
  "Who?""I do not know.""Teddy, who is it in this show who has a grudge against you?"Teddy pondered.
  "I don't know of anybody unless it's January," he made solemn reply.
  "The fool donkey? Bah!""I guess the donkey did not unlock your trunk and steal your egg,Teddy," answered Phil, a half smile curling his lips.
  "I am not going to ask you again whom you suspect. I take it forgranted that you will keep your eyes open from now on.""I certainly shall, Mr. Sparling.""If you are unable to find out who is responsible for certain things I amsure there is no use in my trying to do so.""I do not know about that, Sir. I shall try. If I find out anythingworthwhile I shall come to you and tell you.""I shall expect you to do so. And, Teddy!""Yes, sir.""You are to say nothing of this occurrence to anyone on the boat. Donot mention that your precious egg has been lost or stolen, nor appear as ifanything out of the ordinary had occurred."Teddy nodded his understanding.
  Mr. Sparling understood his boys better than they knew. He wasconfident that Phil Forrest had a shrewd idea as to who had aroused theanger of the elephant, Jupiter, as well as to the identity of the person whohad stolen the egg from Teddy Tucker's trunk.
相关的主题文章:

没有评论:

发表评论